Squint Eyes Problem (Strabismus)
Know all about diagnosis and treatment of Squint eyes problems by the Best Squint Specialist in Mumbai India
Who treats squint in children and adults?
An eye specialist who has received super speciality training in strabismus is the most qualified to treat any misalignment of eyes. Usually, Ophthalmologists who specialize in the care of children, Pediatric ophthalmologists, are also trained in treatment of squint.
Squint specialists usually do 1.5 to 2 years of super speciality training after their post graduation in Ophthalmology.
Dr Anand Kumar has done a long term fellowship in Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus from the premier Eye Institute in India- Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai. He further did an advanced fellowship in Paediatric Ophthalmology, Strabismus and Neuro-Ophthalmology from University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA.
He is considered as the Best Squint Specialist in Mumbai India and has tremendous experience in managing squint eye problems in children and Adults.
As a parent when should I seek medical advice?
Get advice if:
- your child has a squint all the time (constant Squint)
- your child is older than 3 months and has a squint that comes and goes (Intermittent Squint)
- you have any concerns about your child’s vision – signs of a problem can include regularly turning their head to one side or keeping one eye closed when looking at things
- you develop a squint or double vision later in life
What are the treatments for a squint ?
- Glasses : these can help if a squint is caused by a problem with your child’s eyesight, such as long-sightedness.
- Eye exercises : exercises for the muscles that control eye movement may sometimes help the eyes work together better.
- Surgery : this involves moving the muscles that control eye movement so the eyes line up correctly. It may be recommended if glasses are not fully effective on their own. Read more about squint surgery by the best Squint Specialist in Mumbai India.
- Botox Injections into the eye muscles : these weaken the eye muscles, which can help the eyes line up better. But the effect usually lasts less than 3 months.
What problems occur if a squint is not treated?
According to the best Squint Specialist in Mumbai India, it is very important not to ignore a squint. In most cases, earlier the treatment is started better is the result.
If squint is left untreated it can lead to further problems, such as:
- persistent blurred or double vision (Diplopia)
- a lazy eye (Amblyopia): the brain starts to ignore signals coming from the affected eye, so your child does not develop normal eyesight
- embarrassment or low self-esteem
Squint Surgery can help improve the alignment of the eyes even if a squint has been left untreated for a long time, but any vision problems may be permanent if they are not treated at a young age.
What causes Squint eyes ?
The exact cause of a squint is not always known.
Some people are born with a squint and others develop one later in life. Sometimes they run in families.
Dr Anand Kumar elaborates that most squint eye problems are the result of an abnormality of the neuromuscular (including brain) control of eye movement. Our understanding of these control centers in the brain remains incomplete. Less commonly, a problem with the actual eye muscle may cause strabismus.
When is the right time to undergo surgery?l
As per the best Squint Specialist in Mumbai India, earlier the surgical correction of the squint better are the outcomes. For children with Esotropia (inward deviation of the eye) surgery should be done as early as possible ideally by 6 months after birth. For Exotropia (outward deviation of the eye), surgery is recommended by 4 to 6 years of age. On adults, surgery may be done anytime for most squints.